Making Stuff Monday: Glass Candle Prism


Monday blogs will be devoted to… well, making stuff.  It is my intention to post a new project each week, but that may not always happen.  If I don’t have a new project to post, I shall try to find some useful information regarding crafting/sewing, and doing it frugally.  Without further ado, the very first Making Stuff Mondays post will be making a glass candle prism.

I have two things to say about this project from the start:

  1.  This project is extremely frugal if you have access to a Dollar Tree.
  2. This project has very little hands-on time, but expect quite a bit of drying time for the adhesive.

Here’s a photo of the finished project, complete with lit candle.


I was really happy with the way it turned out.  Such a simple project, with such a dramatic effect afterward.  Imagine a few of these glowing for a nice quiet dinner, or even during the holidays.

The process was really quite simple.  I had a pint size Mason jar here already, from earlier projects I had done.  The only other things I needed were the glass stones from Dollar Tree {I bought three bags, the project took slightly over one bag} and the glass adhesive.  I’m sure there are several types of glass adhesives, but the one I went with was E6000.  It was recommended to me, so I went with it.  The last thing needed is a paint brush.


The process is as simple as could be.  Paint some glue on a small area of the jar, and stick stones to it.  Allow me to save you some frustration at this, however.  It takes a while for the glue to adhere properly and keep the stones in place.  Therefore you will want to do a few at a time and leave them to dry.  I laid my mason jar down flat and put pencils on either side so it wouldn’t roll, and let them dry a bit at a time.  As I said earlier, the hands on time with this project is very little, but the drying time takes some patience.  Also, do this in a well ventilated area.  That glue has some serious fumes.  You can’t really tell, but here’s a photo of the open window I was working in front of.


And yes, I had an open window in February.  It was cold, but I put on some warm clothes and soldiered on because I really wanted to do this project.  The window only had to be up while I was actually working with the glue, so it wasn’t as bad as one might think.  Here’s a photo of the progress.


And here’s the finished project, not lit up.


You could tie some ribbon around the top if you like or decorate it in some other way.  I actually want to tie some ribbon around it but I don’t have any I like enough, so it will have to wait until I’m able to locate some ribbon that speaks to me in a thrift store or on a clearance rack.  All in all, this is one of my favorite projects I’ve done so far.  It was easy, frugal, and the end result, in my humble opinion, is quite lovely!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s